Transparency as a mechanism for expressing pride.
From the 1300s
- 2 people per meal
- Every 3 days responsible for meal
- Breakfast on own
- 10:30 AM start time
- Team that didn’t cook cleans
Knowledge and education is an issue.
- All dishes cleaned or in dishwasher
- All pots and pans cleaned or in dishwasher
- All food put away
- Stove wiped
- Sink and drain are cleared out
- Main counter cleared
- Main counter wiped
- Floor cleared
- All meal related items off dining table
- Dining table wiped if needed
- Dishwasher started
- Trash and recycling taken out if full
ISS is one of the most amazing institutions ever made. Uniting humanity.
Stuck in the middle. On China’s side or not? What is the opposition?
The US? Europe? Current opposition is not working. What can opposition do that China can’t? What can China do that opposition can’t?
Really scary stuff. Need to think more about Hack Club in terms of setting up systems to build out the org that I want to exist rather than just trying to do it all myself.
What is the next 20 years going to look like? When we look back on this time in 100 years, what are the history books going to say? What are the arcs of our time?
AI? Is it for real?
Start with Middle East, but probably overemphasized when comparing to the historical perspective.
From 1910, before everything changed in the 20th century.
- Portugal 1494 to 1580 (end of Italian Wars to Spanish-Portuguese Union). Based on Portugal’s dominance in navigation.
- Spain 1516 to 1659 (Ascension of Charles I of Spain to Treaty of the Pyrenees). Based on the Spanish dominance of the European battlefields and the global exploration and colonization of the New World.
- The Netherlands 1580 to 1688 (1579 Treaty of Utrecht marks the foundation of the Dutch Republic to the Glorious Revolution, William of Orange’s arrival in England). Based on Dutch control of credit and money.
- Britain 1688 to 1792 (Glorious Revolution to Napoleonic Wars). Based on British textiles and command of the high seas.
- Britain 1815 to 1914 (Congress of Vienna to World War I). Based on British industrial supremacy and railroads.
Confirmed at $875/week for next 3 weeks starting Monday.
This too, shall pass.
The Linux generation.
probably many others too
Question from the AMA to consider: If you were shot back to the beginning of the 20th century and put into a position where you could change the education system, what would you change it and how would you do that?
During quarantine, I’ve been working my way through the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov.
- Prelude to Foundation
- Forward the Foundation
- Foundation and Empire (audiobook)
- Second Foundation (audiobook)
- Foundation’s Edge (in progress)
Great people of the series so far: Seldon, Hardin, Mallow, Devers, Meese, Arcadia, Arcadia’s dad (forget his name), the person Arcadia went to Calgan with (forget his name)
Second Foundation on Trantor? What about Star’s End? What happened there?
Some categories have public posts, some categories have protected posts, some categories have private posts!
This post is a public post to force all categories – even those that only have protected or private posts – to show in the sidebar (when it’s available).